Reported in this week`s news :
A new world record has been set for the largest number of robots to dance together simultaneously (1007 if you really want to know).
The iphone 7 is unveiled as not having an earphone socket.
Brangelina is back to being Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie.
You have to ask yourself what is really important to you. The correct answer is of course none of the above.
Instead look at practical courses where you use your hands, build confidence, strength of character, and problem solving capabilities, which are useful in all careers and in every educational experience. Furthermore, working with a natural material in a creative manner assists you in connecting the relevance of other subject material to your daily lives.
Benefits Of Going On A Course
1. Assists students in communicating and understanding ideas non-verbally, through sketches and technical drawings.
2. Enhances the skills of spatial visualization required for geometry, trigonometry and algebra, giving you skills that are also useful in the fields of engineering, architecture and science.
3. Provides you with physical evidence of your skill proficiency.
4. Instils a pride of accomplishment and self-esteem.
5. Gives you the opportunity to execute precise work and to produce useful products, and become “self-assessors” using measuring tools, squares, etc. and then, with the understanding of quality work, comes the ability to self-assess the quality of their work.
6. Trains the eye and hand to see accurately and to feel the sense of beauty in form.
7. Instils the habits of attention, perseverance and patience.
8. Offers opportunities for you to go where your heart demands by selecting subjects, designs and projects that motivate you.
9. Teaches you to overcome setbacks that occur when working on real objects.
10. Provides relevancy of other subject matter to your life, thereby preparing you for a lifetime of learning.
11. Provides non-academic areas for demonstration of skills and pursuit of excellence.
12. Provides an opportunity to engage physically and actively in learning exercises.
13. Helps you gain confidence in tools use and learn safety considerations required for a career, lifetime of general home maintenance or a life-long hobby.
14. Offers an appreciation for the values inherent in physical labour and the work contributions of others.
15. Connects you to the concept of wellness, as concentrating on your projects gives you a break from life`s worries.
16. Enjoying yourself!
As summer marches out of the door autumn awaits, and I offer you the following remaining courses of 2016:
Tool Sharpening + Cabinet Making + Cabinet Veneering
October 3rd - 7th (1 place remaining)
November 7th - 11th
November 14th- 18th
Introductory Wood Finishing
November 26th & 27th
Intermediate Wood Finishing
November 28th & 29th
Introduction To Woodworking
Autumn 2018 could be the last courses I offer from my workshop if demand does not increase! Use it or lose it.